What is an Allergy Skin Test?
It is a test where small drops of certain allergens like pollens, cat dander, dust mites, food extract, insect venom, and medication extract are placed on your skin by making a small indentation or “prick.” That area will have a small reaction if you are allergic to that specific allergen. A positive skin test will identify those allergens which are likely to produce your allergic symptoms. The skin reactions will develop locally in the skin within 15 minutes. Positive skin test reactions will look like a mosquito bite; they will develop an area of redness around them and welt. These positive tests will also itch. The itching will last for only about 15 to 30 minutes; the welt will disappear over the next few hours.
TO PREPARE FOR AN ALLERGY SKIN TEST
1. Take all of your medications except Anti-histamines, Allegra, Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin, Cetirizine, Loratadine, Xyzal, Clarinex, Alavert or any cough syrup.
2. Do not take ANY allergy, sinus or cold medications 8 days prior to testing.
3. On the day of the test, it is very important to have breakfast and/or lunch before you come for your skin test.
4. Take antibiotics and nose sprays except Astelin, Patanase, and Astepro as prescribed.
5. You can take Tylenol or any other pain medications
6. If you are on Beta-Blockers, Heart Medications and/or Anti-Depressant medications, let the doctor know.
7. If you have a fever, cough, cold, wheezing, chest pain, the flu, sun burned skin on the back, or skin peeling on the back from sun burn, NO skin testing can be done
8. Please dress in loose fitting clothing, as skin testing is done on the back and/or arms.
9. The skin test will take approximately 2 hours, so please plan your schedule accordingly, please do not be late. If you are late it may be necessary to reschedule your appointment. Please make sure that you have a referral or authorization for the test, from the primary doctor if needed by your insurance.
10. Please bring all medications with you
11. Do not hesitate to ask any questions you have.
THERE IS A $50.00 CHARGE FOR MISSING YOUR APPOINTMENT OR FOR CANCELLING OR RESCHEDULING ON THE SAME DAY AS YOUR APPOINTMENT.
Please call us at (407)-846-4000 if you have any questions